Monday, 25 October 2010

Flea market shopping...


After my last indulgent post I felt like I had misled my few readers, it was as if I was suggesting buying £55 candles for Christmas and of course this is far from my real life at the moment. It was meant more as a wish-list of those beautiful things I'd love to have in my collection. Maybe in my past life I might have contemplated such a thing, but more likely I would have been 'gifted' it by a generous PR and passed it on happily to a lucky friend!

This blog was always meant as a more honest account of life than you find in the average glossy magazine, and so at the moment I'm a spend-thrift which generally means shopping in the sales, in charity and thrift shops and even car boot sales which can have the best bargains of all.

Another great library book I picked up recently was Flea Market Style by Emily Chalmers with great pictures by Debi Treloar. As always I'm totally inspired by the beautiful pictures.





We are so fortunate to be able to draw from such a rich history of styles when decorating our homes - I'm a believer in putting together different periods that work together rather than sticking to one style or era, just like in these images from Emily Chalmers book.





I have a confession - I'm a secret hoarder, although my husband will argue that it is no secret! I love collecting old things that have a quality and charm you can't find today in the mass market, as with my vintage clothes I have a select few pieces around our home that add a character and individual style unique to us.

If I had more money and greater creative freedom in decorating our home [it is a happy-collaboration of our tastes], I would use a bolder hand and include a brighter pallette with jewel colours, exciting prints and more feminine pretty pieces like vintage crockery and floral fabrics. Anyone who saw last night's Antique's Roadshow with the £2.50 car-boot cup and saucer that was actually £5000 Myson will be scouring the boot sales even more like me!

Here are some of my favourite thrift finds that I love.

Pastel blue 60s desk lamp from car boot sale bought for £3 - decorated with some old ribbon!



Not that thrifty really but I love the 50s cat - £20ish from an antique market.


Similar 50s style bottle from a charity shop for a few pounds love the colour and flirty character of the lady!


I have lots of original artwork that I pick up from boot sales and markets these are some of my favourites bought at the Sunday morning flea market in Gent on different occasions. The soft tones all work together.


My 50s formica kitchen chairs are pretty uncomfortable but for 8euros each from a brocante in the Loire Valley I had to bring them home!


For those of you new to this blog, if you like this kind of style have a look at my friend Lisa's beautiful home here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...