Saturday, 18 September 2010

Vintage fashion finds...


I've blogged recently about my love of all things vintage from boot sale bargains for our house to some of my favourite pieces in my wardrobe, so I thought I'd share some of my best finds.

After 10 years of working at the coal face of high street fashion as fashion editor on British magazines I appreciate the British high street in all it's manic, hard-sell glory.

I have cupboards full of staple pieces from the high street that are the back-bone of what I wear. Well cut jeans that make my bum look good, great jersey basics that fit comfortably under my statement jackets and Jaeger dresses, brilliant cashmere that has stood the test of time, but I don't get the same buzz from buying these bits as I get from falling upon a really great vintage piece.

My philosophy on style is much the same is my approach to all things in my life. It's about balance; whether that's mixing the old with the new, or the glitzy with the well worn I try and have fun putting my vintage pieces together with some of my high street buys.

Of course I can't escape from the other main reason I love vintage and that's that I simply can't afford to buy the bits I would love to from the great British high street! I love Whistles dresses, Margaret Howell jersey tops, The White Company cashmere, Kurt Geiger heels, the list is endless but the bottom line is I just can't afford them, so I have to look for the quality and individual style elsewhere.

Lots of these clothes also have happy memories attached as I remember vividly when I found them - I'm not sure I have the same recollection for most of my high street pieces.

Cream 1950s embroidered and beaded dress:
Bought for $15 in a thrift shop in Vancouver, Canada and worn to several weddings. I had to get it altered and would love the skirt to be abit more fitted but it still manages to have that 'MadMen-feel' regardless.



Burberry trench coat:
Bought for £35 in a vintage shop in Brighton down the lanes. I had it dry-cleaned quite recently and was so upset to find the sleeves had shrunk slightly as this was the most perfect fit - which is always amazing!



Cotton top and turquoise necklace:
Found in a vintage haberdashery shop in Gent for 8euros, I was excited as it looks like a really great designer piece.



Hand-made floral print smock:
Another 8euro bargain in Gent, the cotton is really heavy so it looks great on.



Blue Chanel style bag that I've covered with a selection of vintage and new brooches:
Bought for £5 from a vintage shop in Leeds, I bought it before the reproduction Chanels were everywhere so have covered it in the brooches to make it abit different.



Indian embroidered shawl:
Bought for about £20 15years ago from an antique market somewhere in the north. I just love it, I don't know what the fabric is but it's the most incredibly soft weave and beautifully hand-embroidered, I've been looking for a new one of similar quality for years, but haven't been able to!








No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...